Leo E. "Wimpy" Proulx, 84, of Manchester died February 20, 2002 at Elliot Hospital from injuries received in a fall.
Born in Manchester on December 31, 1917, he was the son of John and Marie Ann (Blanchette) Proulx. He was a lifelong resident of Manchester.
During World War II he served in the U.S. Army with Battery B, 172nd Field Artillery Battalion. He was awarded the American Defense Service Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, the Purple Heart and the European African Middle Eastern Theater Campaign Ribbon.
He served active duty at Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes and Central Europe. He served for over four years and was discharged in 1945 with the rank of Staff Sergeant. He then served for 25 years with the New Hampshire Army National Guard, 197th Field Artillery Division.
Mr. Proulx worked as a carpenter at Grenier Field in Manchester, Hanscom Field in Massachusetts and the New Boston Tracking Station for many years.
He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post #9347 where he served as a four time Post Commander. He also was elected New Hampshire VFW State Commander. He was a member of the American Legion Jutras Post and the Elks Lodge #146.
Mr. Proulx was a member of the National Association of Retired Federal Employees and was elected New Hampshire State President of that organization. He was a communicant of St. Raphael Church.
He was predeceased by his first wife, Rita (Turgeon) Proulx in 1969.
The family includes his wife of 31 years, Alice (Emery) Proulx of Manchester; a son, Mark Proulx of Manchester; a step son, Frank LaRoche of Biddeford, ME; a step daughter, Mary Brentley of Allenstown; seven grandchildren; four brothers, George Proulx, Ernest Proulx, John Proulx and Richard Proulx; two sisters, Aurore Proulx and Beatrice Proulx; nieces and nephews.
Calling hours were February 24, 2002 in Lambert Funeral Home & Crematory, 1799 Elm St., corner of North Street. A mass of Christian burial was celebrated February 25, 2002 in St. Raphael Church, 103 Walker St.. Burial with full military honors was in Mt. Calvary Cemetery, 474 Goffstown Rd..